Comment on page
Higher Education Teaching
Profile description and usage
This profile describes the essential elements of university teaching and academic course.
You will likely use it to record informations on the career and activities of university staff members.
If you want to add a professorship to an individual, you can proceed as follows:
- Academic chair in Chemistry at the University of Kiel.
- Academic chair in Biology at the University of Lausanne.
1. Create a new entity
2. Link it to a discipline
3. Link it to an institution
- Create a new entity by clicking on "Entities" > "add" > "Academic chair".
- Type in the name and the definition of the chair.
- Now that you have an academic chair, you can link it to an academic discipline by using the "has a disciplinary area" property.
- Don't forget to use the "edit mode".
- You can link the chair to an institution (a university for example) which probably regroups several different chairs by using the "is linked to an institution" property.
- Choose an existing institution or add a new one by creating a new "Group".
A university chair is a legal object and is not to be confused with the holder, who is a person.
Use the class 'social actor embodiment' to express that a person, for a certain moment in time, has embodied a certain function/role (like a professorship in this case).
1. Add a new Social actor embodiment
2. Link the social actor embodiment to an academic chair
- Open the entity card of the person that is a professor,
- enable the edit mode,
- click on the "+" button of the property "embodies".
- Add a time span during which the professor was in activity;
- you can also name this embodiment and define it;
- click on the "+" button on the right of the "is embodiment of" field;
- select "Academic chair";
- choose among the academic chairs you previously created (or create a new one).
If you want to indicate that a person not only had a position in an academic chair, but also taught a certain discipline (e.g. a person has been teaching chemistry as a Professor at a university), you can follow these steps:
Create an academic discipline
Create an academic position
- An academic discipline can also be called field of study, research field or branch of knowledge.
- If the discipline that was taught by the professor is not already an entity in your project, create a new one by clicking on "Entities" > "add" > "Academic discipline".
- Enter the name and the definition of the discipline.
- This step is optional, you can use it if you want to precise the rank occupied by the teacher by the time of his or her teaching activity.
- If the position of the teacher is not already an entity in your project, create a new one by clicking on "Entities" > "add" > "Academic position".
- Enter the name and the definition of the position.
1. Add a teaching activity
2. Link it to a discipline
3. Add more information
- In the "specific field" of a person's card, use the property "carries out" to add a new teaching activity.
- In the form that appears, click on the "+" button on the right of the "concerns discipline" field to link the teaching activity to a particular discipline.
- On the right part of the "academic discipline" form that appears, select the discipline you previously created.
- You can also add information about the period of time during which the teacher carried out his or her teaching (time span), or in which institutions he or she taught ("carried out at"). If you created an academic position, you can use the "has rank" position to indicate the academic position of the teacher at that time.
Overview of the "Higher Education Teaching" profile structure